Definition of wheat sawfly
2 : any of several small American sawflies of the genus Dolerus (as D. collaris and D. arvensis) whose larvae injure the stems or heads of wheat
3 : a sawfly (Pachynematus extensicornis) whose larvae feed on the blades of wheat and other grasses
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?