\ ˈ(h)wau̇, ˈfau̇\
Definition of whau
1 : a New Zealand tree (Entelea arborescens) of the family Tiliaceae
2 : the very light wood of the whau used especially for making floats for native fishing nets
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?