variants: or what-do-you-call-them or less commonly what-do-you-call-her or what-do-you-call-him \ ˈ(h)wä|tə⸗ˌ⸗⸗ , -wə- , -wȯ- , |tdə- \
Definition of what-do-you-call-it
: a thing or person that the speaker cannot (as from not knowing or from forgetting) or does not wish to name hand me one of those little what-do-you-call-thems
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?