Definition of whale oil
: a water-white to brown oil obtained from the blubber of whales and used in tempering steel, in dressing leather, after hydrogenation in making margarine and soap, as a lubricant, and formerly as an illuminant
— called also train oil
to form ideas or theories about something
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game