wear awayphrasal verb
wore away; worn away; wearing away; wears away
Definition of wear away
: to gradually disappear or to cause (something) to gradually disappear or become thinner, smaller, etc., because of use The paint on the sign had worn away. Even a trickle of water will eventually wear rock away. —often used as (be) worn away The table's finish was worn away.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game