wear awayphrasal verb
wore away; worn away; wearing away; wears away
Definition of wear away
: to gradually disappear or to cause (something) to gradually disappear or become thinner, smaller, etc., because of use The paint on the sign had worn away. Even a trickle of water will eventually wear rock away. —often used as (be) worn away The table's finish was worn away.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game