wean from/offphrasal verb
weaned from/off; weaning from/off; weans from/off
Definition of wean from/off
: to make (someone or something) stop doing or using (something) efforts to wean the country from its dependence on foreign oil I'm gradually weaning myself off cigarettes.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game