variants: or wax end
Definition of waxed end
: a thread formed of a number of filaments rubbed with shoemaker's wax, usually pointed with a bristle, and used in sewing leather in which holes have been made (as in shoemaking)
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game