wave down (a vehicle)phrasal verb
waved down (a vehicle); waving down (a vehicle); waves down (a vehicle)
Definition of wave down (a vehicle)
: to move one's hand usually in a repeated motion to get a driver to stop We tried to wave down a taxi.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game