variants: or wattled lapwing
Definition of wattled plover
: any of various plovers of the warmer parts of the Old World that resemble the lapwings but have about the face and especially between the eye and the bill variously colored fleshy wattles and are usually placed in a distinct subfamily of Charadriidae
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
- Is 'Cement' 'Concrete'?
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game