waterloonoun, often capitalized
Definition of waterloo
(Entry 1 of 2)
: a decisive or final defeat or setback a political waterloo
Definition of Waterloo (Entry 2 of 2)
1 city in northeast central Iowa northwest of Cedar Rapids population 68,406
2 town in central Belgium south of Brussels population 28,898
Note: In June 1815, a battle near Waterloo resulted in the decisive defeat of French Emperor Napoléon I.
3 city in southeastern Ontario, Canada, west of Kitchener population 98,780
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game