Definition of water ordeal
: an ordeal (as of plunging a bare arm into boiling water) in which water is the testing agent and in which innocence or guilt is held to be proved (as by the condition of the arm) : an ordeal of casting an accused person bound hand and foot into a river or pond in which sinking or floating is taken as evidence respectively of innocence or guilt
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game