Definition of water ordeal
: an ordeal (as of plunging a bare arm into boiling water) in which water is the testing agent and in which innocence or guilt is held to be proved (as by the condition of the arm) : an ordeal of casting an accused person bound hand and foot into a river or pond in which sinking or floating is taken as evidence respectively of innocence or guilt
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game