Definition of water back
1 : a cistern used in brewing for storing hot or cold water
2a : a reservoir at the back of a wood or coal range for heating and storing water
b : a system of tubes often enclosed in a solid casting, placed in the firebox of a wood or coal range on the side opposite the oven for heating water, and connected with a storage tank separate from the range
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Words We're Watching: 'Samesies'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game