watch (someone or something) like a hawkidiom
Definition of watch (someone or something) like a hawk
: to watch (someone or something) very carefully The storeowner watches those teenagers like a hawk whenever they come in because she's afraid they're going to steal something.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game