wash overphrasal verb
Definition of wash over
1 : to affect or be felt by (someone) thoroughly and deeply I felt relief washing over me. Just close your eyes and let the music wash over you.
2 : to appear on (a person's face) suddenly A look of surprise washed over his face.
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game