wash overphrasal verb
washed over; washing over; washes over
Definition of wash over
1 : to affect or be felt by (someone) thoroughly and deeply I felt relief washing over me. Just close your eyes and let the music wash over you.
2 : to appear on (a person's face) suddenly A look of surprise washed over his face.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game