wash awayphrasal verb
washed away; washing away; washes away
Definition of wash away
1 : to carry (something) away by the movement of water The bridge was washed away by flooding last year.
2 : to get rid of (something, such as unhappy or unpleasant thoughts) completely Take a vacation to wash away your troubles.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game