Definition of warning coloration
: conspicuous markings or bright colors possessed by an animal that serve as a warning to potential predators that it is toxic or distasteful The vivid orange, red, black and white color patterns on the wings are a monarch's advertisement to potential predators. This warning coloration enables a bird such as a blue jay, which might eat one poisonous monarch and become ill, to recognize and avoid the butterfly by sight alone in the future.— Marcia Davis
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?