Definition of walking beam
(Entry 1 of 2)
: an oscillating lever that pivots on a central axis and serves for transmitting power in such a way as to produce a reciprocating or reversible motion
— called also working beam
Definition of walking-beam (Entry 2 of 2)
West, of a horse
: to leap in bucking so as to land alternately on front and hind feet
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game