wait/just a minuteidiom
Definition of wait/just a minute
1 —used to tell someone to wait or to stop for a brief time "Aren't you finished yet?" "Just a minute. I'm almost done."Wait a minute—I didn't hear you. Could you repeat what you said?Wait just a minute, young man. Where do you think you're going?
2 —used to express surprise or disbelief Hey, wait a minute! That's not what you said yesterday!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
- Must 'Collide' Mean Two Moving Objects?
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game