Definition of vuvuzela
: a simple plastic noisemaker in the form of a straight trumpet usually between 2 and 3 feet in length that produces a single note and is used principally at sporting events An inexpensive plastic horn is to become the unofficial symbol of the football World Cup to be held in South Africa in 2010. … It is raucous, loud and reminiscent of a trumpeting elephant. It is the vuvuzela—a 60-centimeter, brightly colored plastic horn that has become both the sound and the symbol of South African football.— Delia Robertson, Voice of America News, 9 Aug. 2004
Keep scrolling for more
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game