Definition of voxel
: any of the discrete elements comprising a three-dimensional entity (such as an image produced by magnetic resonance imaging) MRI produces the best resolution of any existing scanning technology, imaging down to a 2-millimetre "voxel" (the 3D equivalent of a pixel).— Clint Witchalls To process the MRI data, a computer overlaid on Pickens' brain a virtual three-dimensional grid of 50,000 cubes called voxels (a word hinting at volume and pixels).— Christopher Helman
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game