\ vä|nˈba(a)(ə)rz-, fə|, və|, -be(ə)rz-\
Definition of von Baer's law
: a principle in biology: the development of an organism proceeds from the general to the special and embryos belonging to various classes closely resemble one another in their earlier stages but diverge more and more as development proceeds — compare recapitulation theory
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Casting Light on 'Angel'
- Words We're Watching: 'Lewk'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/8/19
- Words We're Watching: 'Nibling'
Ask the Editors
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Here Be Dragons: A Creature Identification Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game