von Baer's lawnoun
\ vä|nˈba(a)(ə)rz-, fə|, və|, -be(ə)rz-\
Definition of von Baer's law
: a principle in biology: the development of an organism proceeds from the general to the special and embryos belonging to various classes closely resemble one another in their earlier stages but diverge more and more as development proceeds — compare recapitulation theory
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game