variants: or less commonly volvell \ ˈvälˌvel \
Definition of volvelle
: an old contrivance for ascertaining the time of the rising and setting of the moon and sun and the time of high and low tide consisting of one or more movable circles with pointers and figures of the moon and sun which are placed upon several graduated and figured circles drawn on the leaf of a book
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game