variants: or less commonly volvell \ ˈvälˌvel \
Definition of volvelle
: an old contrivance for ascertaining the time of the rising and setting of the moon and sun and the time of high and low tide consisting of one or more movable circles with pointers and figures of the moon and sun which are placed upon several graduated and figured circles drawn on the leaf of a book
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?