Definition of vitriol stone
: a hard crystalline mass that consists chiefly of ferric sulfate and aluminum sulfate, is obtained by exposing pyritic schist to the atmosphere for some years, lixiviating the mass, and evaporating, and is used in manufacturing fuming sulfuric acid
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?