Definition of virial coefficient
: one of the coefficients in a series of terms involving inverse powers of specific volume whose sum represents the product of specific volume by pressure for a pure gas useful form of the equation of state of a real gas is pv = A + B/v + C/v2 + …, where A, B, C, etc. are functions of the temperature and are called the virial coefficients— F. W. Sears
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?