Definition of violet ray
1 : an ultraviolet ray —not used technically
2 : a high-frequency electric discharge from the outer surface of a one-electrode vacuum tube having violet-colored fluorescence and often used in therapeutic treatments
standardized text or formulaic language
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game