variants: or Vin Santo
Definition of vin santo
: an amber-colored wine of variable sweetness that is produced in Tuscany from partially dried grapes In Italy, grapes for vin santo hang from rafters in warm attics for months after the harvest, their juice gradually becoming more concentrated.— Harvey Steiman, Wine Spectator, 31 Jan. 1993 What I liked best, though, was a glass of Vin Santo, a sweet Tuscan wine made from aged Trebbiano grapes, served with crunchy almond biscotti for dunking.— Caroline Bates, Gourmet, May 1988
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game