variants: or Vin Santo
Definition of vin santo
: an amber-colored wine of variable sweetness that is produced in Tuscany from partially dried grapes In Italy, grapes for vin santo hang from rafters in warm attics for months after the harvest, their juice gradually becoming more concentrated.— Harvey Steiman, Wine Spectator, 31 Jan. 1993 What I liked best, though, was a glass of Vin Santo, a sweet Tuscan wine made from aged Trebbiano grapes, served with crunchy almond biscotti for dunking.— Caroline Bates, Gourmet, May 1988
Keep scrolling for more
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game