Definition of vielle
1 : a bowed stringed instrument of the late Middle Ages: such as
a : any of the early viols
b : a medieval fiddle with a slightly incurving waist that was played upright or on the shoulder
— called also medieval viol
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?