use/play the race/gender cardidiom
Definition of use/play the race/gender card
: to make a claim that race/gender was unjustly considered as a reason for the way a person was treated She was accused of playing the race card to defend her client. She used/played the gender card and said we didn't hire her because she's a woman.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?