Definition of up and
: to do something specified in a sudden and unexpected way (U.S.) One day, he just up and left home. Then she ups and marries some guy she'd just met. One day, he just upped and left home.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game