Definition of universal veil
: a membrane that initially completely invests the young sporophore of various mushrooms, is ruptured by growth, and is represented in the mature sporophore by a volva about the lower part of the stem and sometimes by scales on the upper surface of the cap — compare partial veil
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game