un·ci·nus | \ ˌənˈsīnəs\
plural uncini\ -īˌnī \
Definition of uncinus
: a small hooklike structure or process: such as
a : one of the minute chitinous hooks found in large numbers in the tori of some tubicolous annelids
b : one of the hooklike lateral teeth of the radula of a gastropod
c : a hooked cilium of various infusorians
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game