variants: or twofold tackle
Definition of twofold purchase
: a tackle of two double blocks with the standing part of the rope fast to the block from which the hauling part comes the twofold purchase … is commonly used for hoisting boats — Manual of Seamanship
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game