twist someone's armidiom
Definition of twist someone's arm
1 : to grab someone's arm and bend it in order to cause pain He twisted my arm behind my back and forced me into the car.
2 informal : to try to force someone to do something My wife really had to twist my arm to get me to apologize to my boss.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?