Definition of turnstone
: either of two shorebirds (genus Arenaria) of the sandpiper family:
a : a bird (A. interpres) of worldwide distribution that has black and chestnut upperparts and a black breast
b : a North American bird (A. melanocephala) with black upperparts and breast
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game