tur·nix | \ ˈtərniks\
Definition of turnix
1 capitalized : a genus comprising small 3-toed birds that live on grassy plains of southern Europe, Asia, and northern Africa and are related to the plovers and sand grouse and constituting with the genus Pedionomus the family Turnicidae
2 plural -es : any bird of the genus Turnix : button quail
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Buck Naked' or 'Butt Naked'?
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game