turn one's backidiom
Definition of turn one's back
: to turn so as to face away from someone He turned his back (on me) and walked away. —often used figuratively to suggest rejection or abandonment His former supporters have turned their backs on him.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- April 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game