turn one's backidiom
Definition of turn one's back
: to turn so as to face away from someone He turned his back (on me) and walked away. —often used figuratively to suggest rejection or abandonment His former supporters have turned their backs on him.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game