turn againstphrasal verb
turned against; turning against; turns against
Definition of turn against
1 : to stop supporting or being friendly to (someone or something) The senator eventually turned against the war. She turned against her best friend.
2 : to cause (someone) to stop being friendly toward (someone) He tried to turn our friends against us.
3 : to use (something) in a way that harms or discredits (someone) Her political opponent tried to turn her many years of experience in Washington against her.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game