turn (something) upside downidiom
Definition of turn (something) upside down
1 : to turn (something) so that the top is at the bottom and the bottom is at the top To remove the plant, turn the pot upside down and tap gently on the bottom to loosen it.
2 informal : to make (something) very untidy I turned the room upside down looking for my car keys. The house was turned upside down while the renovations were underway. —often used figuratively His whole world was turned upside down when his mother died.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- The Exceptions Quiz III Take the quiz
- Musical Words Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game