Definition of tunnel effect
: the quantum mechanical phenomenon sometimes exhibited by moving particles that succeed in passing from one side of a potential barrier to the other although of insufficient energy to pass over the top
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game