variants: or less commonly tumatukuru \ ¦tüˌmätə¦ku̇(ˌ)rü , -mat- \
Definition of tumatakuru
: a New Zealand shrub or tree (Discaria toumatou) of the family Rhamnaceae having stout sharp spines used by the Maoris for tattooing
— called also Irishman, matagory, wild Irishman
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?