Definition of tube cell
1 : one of the two cells that is produced by division of the microspore nucleus in the development of the male gametophyte in higher plants and that functions in development of the pollen tube
2 : any of the cells in a wheat grain having long axes parallel to those of the epicarp cells, appearing as rings in transection, and forming the inner epidermis of the grain
an act or instance of editing or removing
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?