Definition of tube cell
1 : one of the two cells that is produced by division of the microspore nucleus in the development of the male gametophyte in higher plants and that functions in development of the pollen tube
2 : any of the cells in a wheat grain having long axes parallel to those of the epicarp cells, appearing as rings in transection, and forming the inner epidermis of the grain
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- Rapping on 'Bad Rap' and 'Bad Rep' (and 'Bad Wrap')
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game