try/use every trick in the bookidiom
Definition of try/use every trick in the book
: to do everything one can to achieve something They'll use every trick in the book to get you to buy their products. He tried every trick in the book to get the car started, but nothing worked.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game