trux·in·ic acid | \ ¦trək¦sinik-\
Definition of truxinic acid
: any of several crystalline stereoisomeric cyclic dicarboxylic acids (C6H5)2C4H4(COOH)2 that are isomeric with the truxillic acids and also yield cinnamic acid on distillation; 3,4-diphenyl-cyclobutane-1,2-dicarboxylic acid: such as
a : an acid obtained from beta-truxilline by hydrolysis
— called also beta-truxillic acid, beta-truxinic acid
b : an acid obtained from the potassium salt of beta-truxinic acid by fusion with potassium hydroxide
— called also delta-truxillic acid, delta-truxinic acid
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Casting Light on 'Angel'
- Words We're Watching: 'Lewk'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/8/19
- Words We're Watching: 'Nibling'
Ask the Editors
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Here Be Dragons: A Creature Identification Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game