Definition of trunk engine
1 : a steam engine having a piston rod that is a pipe of sufficient diameter to enable one end of the connecting rod to be attached to the crank and the other end to pass within the pipe and be pivoted to the piston
2 : an engine (as most internal-combustion engines) having a trunk piston
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game