Definition of trickling filter
: an artificial bed of broken rock or other coarse material through which sewage or industrial wastes trickle after being sprayed on intermittently so that organic matter present is oxidized and removed by biological growths formed on the surfaces of the rock
a sum of money that is sent as a payment
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game