Definition of tree onion
: any of several perennial garden onions that constitute a variety (Allium cepa variety viviparum) of the common onion, are grown chiefly as a curiosity or for early salad onions, and are propagated by bulbils that replace the flowers in the inflorescence
— called also Egyptian onion, top onion— compare multiplier onion
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game