variants: or less commonly tree dassie
Definition of tree hyrax
: any of various chiefly arboreal African hyraxes (genus Dendrohyrax) that are usually solitary and nocturnal And though your sleep will be sounder than any you have ever had, you will be wakened in the night by the tree hyrax, which sounds like a door banging shut and then creaking open …— Roxana Robinson, New York Times, 4 Dec. 1988
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?