trans·vert·er | \ tran(t)sˈvərtə(r), -nzˈ-\
Definition of transverter
: a machine that consists of a fixed transformer, commutator, and brushes which revolve at synchronous speed and by which a three-phase alternating current can be converted into a direct current at one end of the line and reconverted into a three-phrase alternating current at the terminal point
Keep scrolling for more
showing great care, attention, and effort
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game