Definition of transit instrument
1 : a telescope that is mounted at right angles to a horizontal east-west axis on which it revolves with its line of collimation in the plane of the meridian and that is used in connection with a clock and chronograph for observing the time of transit of a celestial body over the meridian of a place
2 : transit sense 4
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?